Monday, October 18, 2010

The Social Network

I though the Social Network was such a great movie especially for business students. The film offers a lot of do's and don'ts of the business world. Here are a few I noted:

1. Make sure you can trust your business partners. Maybe this is the lawyer in me, but if you are investing money in something, you should have a plan to go along with it.

2. Don't get too greedy. Don't steal others' ideas, screw your friends for money, or lose yourself in the pursuit of a new business venture. $26 billion isn't worth being a friendless jerk.

3. Be innovative.

4. Don't undermine the opportunities a break-up can bring. Could be an idea worth $26 billion...

5. Use your resources and collaborate. Mark used his roommates for funding, algorithms, marketing, etc. He could not have done this project alone.

6. Have a good lawyer and always settle!

Just some lessons learned from Mark Zuckerberg. Unfortunately, I am not technologically gifted. At least I have friends that are actually my friends on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen The Social Network yet, even though I am dying to. But using the info that you gathered from it, I have decided that when I create my innovated idea I will make sure it is not stolen. I will also make sure that it is worth at least 26 billion by using my friends as resources and not get greedy and screw them over. Lastly, when someone decides to sue me, and I am sure they will, I will hire you as a lawyer and we will settle. Thus making you rich too :)

    Kim Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen The Social Network yet either but the whole process of the start of Facebook sounds fascinating. I was only on Facebook for a short period of time but I believe it is the "Social Network" of the time.

    I actually did some reading about the "twins" and their battle against Mark Zuckerberg. Turns out that they are now some of the richest twins in the world, right up there with Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen.

    Thanks for your tips, Holly.

    ReplyDelete